I actually haven’t made this in quite a while, and I’ve never taken pictures of it, but a friend asked me for the recipe and this seemed like the easiest way to share it. I discovered this in the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook my mom passed on to me when I got married six and a half years ago, and I’ve only made “real” lasagna once since.
Helen’s Lasagna (from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker)
Makes 6-8 servings
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
29-oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
6-oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
8-oz. pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked
4 cups (16 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) small-curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook beef, onion, and garlic together in saucepan until browned. Drain.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, and oregano. Mix well.
3. Spread one-fourth of meat sauce in ungreased slow cooker. Arrange one third of noodles over sauce.
4. Combine the cheeses. Spoon one-third of mixture over noodles. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce.
5. Cover. Cook on Low 4-5 hours.